Work permits in Sweden

By Beyondo, 20. Oct 2022

 We work with the recruitment of international talents. When a talent needs a permit for working in Sweden, it needs to be issued correctly.

I have therefore invited Global Goes Local, Jolande and Ylva. They are assisting companies with the work permit process and they are certified by the Migration Agency which gives them access to the fast-track process for obtaining work permits. In this video, we like to highlight some useful information to take into consideration.

Who needs to and can apply for a work permit?

Citizens of a non-EU country normally need a work permit in order to work in Sweden. The employer initiates the process and applies for the work permit together with the employee. We at Global Goes Local can represent both the employer and the employee in the work permit process.

It is a long process, what are the timelines for such a process?

The timelines for a work permit can be long, up to 6-12 months. However, companies that have a recurring need to employ non-EU citizens, can get registered under our certification to make use of the fast-track process. In the fast-track process the reply times are 10-20 working days from the moment of submission of the application.

What are things to consider when starting a work permit process?

It is important to understand that the work permit normally needs to be granted before the employee can enter Sweden, that the job needs to be advertised (in Sweden, EU/EEA and Switzerland) before the application can start, and that all forms and documents need to be correct for a smooth process. For example, a signed employment agreement needs to be submitted together with the application. And if anything is missing, the Migration Agency will ask for complementary information which might delay the process.

What is your best advice for companies that want or need to hire talents from non-EU countries?

To engage a specialist to make sure that everything is correct in the process. The employer, for example, needs to provide certain insurances to the employee in order for the employee to be granted a work permit. We at Global Goes Local can guide both the employer and the employee through the work permit process and the requirements.

Can you tell us briefly about EU Blue Card and ICT Permit?

EU Blue Card and ICT permits are two other types of work permits with a reply time of 90 days and cannot be applied for in the fast-track process. EU Blue Card is a work permit for highly qualified employees and ICT permit, or Intra-Corporate Transfer, is a permit for employees that are transferring within the same corporate group to Sweden. We at Global Goes Local can assist also with these type of permits.

Thank you Jolande & Ylva for all the useful tips! 


Below you can find more information on:

No exemption applies

When no exemptions apply, the employer must follow standard procedures and fulfil these work permit requirements:

The employer must recruit first in Sweden and Europe.

The vacancy should be reported at least ten days in the Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen) job, which is linked to the EURES job service. The employment benefits should be in accordance with Swedish law and the foreign national employee must earn at least the Swedish customary wage in that industry.

These requirements make obtaining a work permit difficult. The employer must prove that the company could not find a suitable employee in Europe. As well the employer must complete an offer of employment and allow the relevant trade union to provide a statement of opinion regarding the terms of employment. Specific regulations are in effect for certain occupations and citizens of certain countries. Within certain industries, more stringent requirements can be placed on the employer. 

For more information: Migrationsverkret

Partner of an EU citizen

If your partner has a residence permit in Sweden in order to work or study you should apply for a residence permit as a family member to her or him. If you are an EU citizen and want to move to a family member who is also an EU citizen, you may have the right of residence. Then you do not need a residence permit.

For more information: Migrationsverkret


Please note that Beyondo cannot help you obtain a work permit.